Friday, May 28, 2004

i can't get no sleep...

I can't get to sleep again. For that, I only have myself to blame. If I hadn't thought it really funny to wind up the users of this board until 5am yesterday morning (that's 27 May 2004), then perhaps I would be a little more tired now. Glutton for punishment, I guess.

Once I finally got up at 1.30pm today (or rather yesterday - also 27 May 2004), I managed to achieve a state of relative hygiene [a shower], a bit of shopping [sweet and sour chicken ready-meal, and barbecue flavour super noodles], and the viewing of two dvds rented from MSN, being Standing In The Shadows Of Motown and The 7th Voyage of Sinbad.

The former, a documentary on a group of musicians called 'The Funk Brothers', whom are (or rather were) the unknown, unrecognised, forgotten foundations of the Motown movement, actually brought me to tears. Through the course of the film, we are made to know, recognise and remember these men, and the contribution and influence they have made on music of the modern world. And at the end, as they recieve their long belated applause for the sheer scope of their work, I couldn't help but think 'Damn bitch, I wish I was a Funk Brother'. It was good. I enjoyed it, and may even be tempted to buy it. I definitely want the soundtrack, if there is one.

The 7th Voyage of Sinbad more or less explains itself. Enjoyed it, though I could have done without some of the Allah-isms. Like 'Allah always finds a way for dealing with hungry people' after some prisoner fell of a cliff (- please don't shoot me if that's misquoted). I'm not quite sure what that was supposed to mean. Perhaps it was just an attempt at mysticism on Sinbad's part. But then, if it was, why?

Not very productive day really. Read a bit more of GB84. Got a little further. Got more intrigued. Perhaps I'll read a bit more now, since I can't get to sleep. It's that or playing on the PS2. I'm thinking the latter will destroy any chance of sleep in the immediate future, and so, reading it is...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home